Friday 25 January 2013

Interview with LM Preston


Today we're chatting with PURGATORY REIGN author LM Preston.

Welcome to We Do Write. Tell us a bit about yourself.

I’m a mother, a wife of 20yrs married to my best friend since I was fifteen. I’m also an engineer project lead by day and an obsessive insomniac of a writer by night. Also, I volunteer with Yalitchat.org, Mid Atlantic Book Publishers Association and Maryland Writers Association.

How long have you been writing?

I started writing around 12yrs old. I kept a diary of short stories, songs and poems.

Tell us about PURGATORY REIGN. What’s the story about?

It’s about Peter Saints, a kid that can’t seem to get a break. One that wants to be loved and love so badly but realizes that all of the people he’s cared about have died in rather violent ways. When he meets the one girl that captures his heart, she’s stolen from him and the only way he can save her is to unleash something that only his blood holds the key to, something deadly and dangerous.

How did the idea of the story come to you?

Well about three years ago, I found a short story my husband wrote for a creative writing class. The story depicted a secret that was hidden from the world and how these adult characters fought to hide this secret. It sparked a story in me and I went to him and asked him if I could write a story, into the future about the kids of the people in his short story. He said ‘I don’t care, go for it’ and I put together the outline for Purgatory Reign and he was floored. He became my sounding board for the core of the story and then I went off and wrote it. When I read it to him (we read my books while we drive on long family trips) he was shocked and happy with what I developed. I now have three books in the Purgatory Reign series that’s already outlined. However, there is room for my husband to build an awesome story on the ancestors who spurned the adventure that my main character, Peter Saints, gets caught up in.

Do you have a critique group/partner or beta readers, or do you self-edit?

I usually have to write the story out first. Then I use beta readers I find randomly and some who I use frequently to give me feedback. As far as editing goes, I use several editing tools online to find repetition and grammar issues prior to submitting the manuscript to my editor.

Are you a planner or a pantser?

I plan out everything only to increase my writing speed and to keep me on plot. (Lol!)

What’s the hardest part of writing for you?

Focusing on one story at a time. I tend to have many ideas for books and want to write them all at the same time, but if I did that I wouldn’t finish one. So I force myself to do one book at a time.

What do you absolutely have to have nearby when writing?

A heater or a blanket. I get so cold.

If you could have any super power, what would it be?

I need the power to duplicate myself :-D

What's the weirdest thing you've googled?

Blood red water.

Quick writing test! Use the following words in a sentence: gnarl, caricature, and clockwise.

The gnarled hand of the ghostly caricature floated clockwise above the head of the gray colored girl.

Finish this sentence: If I'm not writing, I'm probably ...

Reading.

Here’s the part where you thank the people who are supporting you. Let's hear your shout outs.

Willow Cross you are the best beta reader ever!! K.L. Brady you were my inspiration to do the impossible. John Kremer thanks for your encouragement on the beginning of my writing journey. Jonathan Maberry thanks for your tips, Leslie Banks you are so missed.

And finally, where can people find you and your book online?

Purgatory Reign can be ordered on Amazon, B&N, BooksAmillion, IndieUnbound and more! (Links below)

Here’s my books!
www.lmpreston.com



LM Preston
LM. Preston was born and raised in Washington, DC. An avid reader, she loved to create poetry and short-stories as a young girl. With a thirst for knowledge she attended college at Bowie State University, and worked in the IT field as a Techie and Educator for over sixteen years. She started writing science fiction under the encouragement of her husband who was a Sci-Fi buff and her four kids. Her first published novel, Explorer X - Alpha was the beginning of her obsessive desire to write and create stories of young people who overcome unbelievable odds. She loves to write while on the porch watching her kids play or when she is traveling, which is another passion that encouraged her writing.
Author Links

Title: Purgatory Reign
Series: Purgatory Reign, Book 1
Release: ebook (March 2013) Print (May 2013)
Publisher: Phenomenal One Press
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal Romance, SciFi
ISBN: 978-0-9850251-3-7
EBook: 978-0-985-0251-4-4

Blurb
Tagline: Something evil this way comes, unfortunately for it, Peter Saints is waiting.

Seventeen-year-old Peter Saints' life stinks. But things are about to get much worse. First, his parents are murdered in front of him. Then another victim dies in his arms.

Visions plague Peter with warnings that something wants him for a sinister cause. It desires the one thing that Peter refuses to give - his blood.

On the run with Angel, a scruffy kid, Peter starts to unravel the mystery. It's the one secret the heavens sought to hide from the world. Unfortunately, when Peter finds the answer he hopes that will save the girl he loves, he opens the door to a great evil that happens to be salivating to meet him.

Excerpt:

A sickening thump made Peter jerk around. His face crinkled with
fury. The car threw the sparse girl’s body upwards into the air, and sped
off down the street. She bounced several times on the pavement. Peter ran
and knelt beside her. Blood dribbled from her lip. And he felt like gar-
bage, being the cause of her injury.
She smiled at him. “Petah. I…knew you would come.” Her dazed
eyes never left his face. “Take me home, Petah.”
He shook his head and searched around. Surprised the street was now
deserted. Tendrils of guilt filled his chest. Another one…my damn fault.
My fault.


Book Trailer (Please include in your post)

Book Sample
If you think Purgatory Reign is something you might like to review follow the link to read a sample.  If you enjoy please request a review copy.

Buy Links

Other works by LM Preston



3 comments:

LM Preston said...

Thanks so much for allowing me to drop into your blog today! *Happy Dancing*

Shevi said...

Purgatory Reigns sounds like a fun book!

Stuart R. West said...

LM! I'm a sucker for kids who can't get a break (um, part of my past, I think). The book sounds like a winner!