Thursday 3 January 2013

Interview with Gary Kassay

Today marks the release of Gary Kassay's new novel, MURDER BY PROPHECY. Let's welcome Gary to the blog to talk about his book.

Happy release day, Gary! Tell us a bit about yourself.

I was born and raised in New York City and have had several careers. I’ve been a baker, X-Ray Tech, K-9 cop for NY, professional photographer, business owner and a Detective, whew! I was married to my H.S. sweetheart who passed away and am currently lucky enough to have found love a second time and I am married again. I have four children, four grandchildren and two grandchildren on the way. Oh, and five four legged children in the house as well.

How long have you been writing?

I started writing the first book in the Duke Becker Series in my head back in 1982. I put pen to paper, literally, in 2004.

Tell us about MURDER BY PROPHECY. What’s the story about?

Murder by Prophecy is a story of both revenge and redemption, on closing a door on a life behind and opening the door on a new one. And of course about Duke Becker, his wife Liz and the squad that make up Special Investigations Homicide.

How did the idea of the story come to you?

After many people read Murder in Silence, I suddenly had a demand for a sequel. One day I was walking in the city and came upon a sight that inspired me for this second in the series.

Do you have a critique group/partner or beta readers, or do you self-edit?

I try to self edit..ha, ha..but I owe all the editing to Amy at Sapphire Star Publishing and her fellow editors, Katie and Devyn.

Are you a plotter or a pantser?

I plot my books with a general idea of where I want it to go and then I turn into a pantser and write each chapter, well, by the seat of my pants.

What’s the hardest part of writing for you?

Finding the time to do it.

I hear ya! What do you absolutely have to have nearby when writing?

A distraction when I want it…like my dogs to play with when I need a break. I tend to get into the writing and may not stop for several hours.

If you could have any super power, what would it be?

Invisibility…I think with that you could almost do anything.

What's the weirdest thing you've googled?

Myself.

LOL. Quick writing test! Use the following words in a sentence: prophecy, penguins, and peculiar.

He had to figure out what was meant by the prophecy as soon as possible or the peculiar penguins would be destroyed.

Finish this sentence: If I'm not writing, I'm probably ..

Enjoying my time with my wife and animals..

Here’s the part where you thank the people who are supporting you. Let's hear your shout outs.

I have to thank my wife, Raella, first and foremost for understanding the time it takes to make a novel happen. Of course a huge shoutout to my publishers, Amy, Katie and Devyn who have given me tremendous support. Next all of the authors who have given me support and tweeted me along the way and finally to my fans who write to me and tell me about their reading experience with Duke Becker. And last, to you for allowing me to answer these questions. Thanks!

My pleasure! And finally, where can people find you and your books online?

 The books are available at Amazon.com, BarnesandNoble.com and several other sites.

Thanks for chatting with us today, Gary. I wish you the best of luck with your new release!


3 comments:

Momma Fargo said...

Bravo! Gary is a wonderful writer. Love his books. He is truly a kind person and a hard working individual!

Anonymous said...

Great books! Can not wait for book three....

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your new book Gary. I told you they were good!

Christine